Posts Tagged ‘Chief financial officer’
- 2010 revenues of $286.2 million
- 2010 net income of $51.7 million, or $1.63 per share, representing ninth consecutive year of profitability
- 2010 cash, investments and accounts receivable balance of $210.4 million
- 2011 forecast reaffirmed: total revenues of $320 to $340 million and net income of $35 to $45 million
Emergent BioSolutions Inc. (NYSE: EBS) announced on 10 March its financial results for the full year ending December 31, 2010.
Total revenues for 2010 were $286.2 million as compared to $234.8 million in 2009, and net income was $51.7 million, or $1.63 per basic share, as compared to $31.1 million, or $1.02 per basic share, in 2009.
For the fourth quarter 2010, total revenues were $103.2 million as compared to $53.8 million in 2009, and net income was $26.2 million, or $0.78 per basic share, as compared to $4.2 million, or $0.14 per basic share, in 2009.
R. Don Elsey, chief financial officer of Emergent BioSolutions, stated, “Our 2010 financial performance reflects our continued success in growing revenue from the sale of BioThrax(R) and government development contracts, as well as from development collaborations with our large pharma partners. We achieved this revenue growth while closely managing our overall expenditures even as we continued to advance our pipeline of vaccines and therapeutics targeting key disease areas. We expect to continue our growth in 2011, as evidenced by our reaffirmed 2011 forecast of total revenues of $320 to $340 million and net income of $35 to $45 million.”
2010 Key Operational Accomplishments
- Acquired Trubion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. for a total consideration of up to $131.6 million, including $92.9 million in upfront cash and stock and up to $38.7 million of success-based milestones, payable between October 2010 and October 2013;
- Secured a BARDA development contract, valued at up to $107.0 million, to fund qualification, validation and licensure of Building 55 in order to manufacture BioThrax(R) (Anthrax Vaccine Adsorbed) at large-scale;
- Secured a BARDA development contract, valued at up to $186.6 million, to fund development of our rPA vaccine candidate PreviThraxTM (Recombinant Protective Antigen Anthrax Vaccine, Purified);
- Secured a NIAID development contract, valued at up to $28.7 million, to fund further development of NuThraxTM (Anthrax Vaccine Adsorbed with CPG 7909 Adjuvant), the second contract award for this vaccine candidate;
- Launched Singapore operations and formed EPIC Bio, Pte. Ltd., a joint venture with Temasek Life Sciences Ventures Pte. Ltd., to develop, manufacture, and commercialize pre-pandemic influenza vaccines and therapeutics;
- Obtained Fast Track designation and Orphan Drug status from FDA for ThravixaTM (Fully Human Anthrax Monoclonal Antibody);
- Initiated a Phase 1 clinical study for Thravixa;
- Initiated a Phase 1 clinical study for NuThrax; and
Expanded the Board of Directors with the appointment of John E. Niederhuber, M.D., former Director, The National Cancer Institute (NCI), and Marvin White, Chief Financial Officer, St. Vincent Health and former Chief Financial Officer, LillyUSA.
About Emergent BioSolutions Inc.
Emergent BioSolutions, led by Chairman and CEOFuad El-Hibri, protects and enhances life by developing and manufacturing vaccines and therapeutics that are supplied to healthcare providers and purchasers for use in preventing and treating disease. Emergent’s marketed and investigational products target infectious diseases, oncology and autoimmune disorders. Additional information may be found at http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?id=smartlink&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.emergentbiosolutions.com&esheet=6643305&lan=en-US&anchor=www.emergentbiosolutions.com&index=3&md5=974c9d419f86092b960b6d8622d54f18.
Safe Harbor Statement
This press release includes forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Any statements other than statements of historical fact, including statements regarding our strategy, future operations, future financial position, future revenues, projected costs, prospects, plans and objectives of management, including any potential future securities offering, our estimates of preliminary results for 2010, and our expected revenue growth and net earnings for 2011, and any other statements containing the words “believes”, “expects”, “anticipates”, “plans”, “estimates” and similar expressions, are forward-looking statements. There are a number of important factors that could cause the company’s actual results to differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements, including appropriations for BioThrax(R) procurement; our ability to obtain new BioThrax(R) sales contracts or modifications to existing contracts; our plans to pursue label expansions and improvements for BioThrax(R); our ability to perform under our current development contracts with the U.S. government; our plans to expand our manufacturing facilities and capabilities; the rate and degree of market acceptance of our products and product candidates; the success of preclinical studies and clinical trials of our product candidates and post-approval clinical utility of our products; the potential benefits of our existing collaborations and our ability to selectively enter into additional collaborative arrangements; ongoing and planned development programs, preclinical studies and clinical trials; and other factors identified in the company’s Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended September 30, 2010 and subsequent reports filed with the SEC. The company disclaims any intention or obligation to update any forward-looking statements as a result of developments occurring after the date of this press release.
On the web: http://www.emergentbiosolutions.com
Employee growth: 4.8%
Emergent BioSolutions protects your thorax against anthrax. Emergent BioSolutions develops and produces, for government and commercial markets, drugs that treat or protect against infectious diseases and bio-agents. The company supplies BioThrax (the US’s only FDA-approved anthrax vaccine) primarily to the departments of Defense and Health and Human Services (HHS). Its biodefense unit is also developing a post-exposure treatment for anthrax and a preventive vaccine for botulinum toxin. For commercial markets, Emergent is working on therapies and vaccines for typhoid, Group B strep, and hepatitis B, among other things. Chairman and CEO Fuad El-Hibri controls more than half of the company.
Key numbers for fiscal year ending December, 2008:
One year growth: (2.4%)
Net income: $20.7M
Income growth: (9.8%)